Monday, June 22, 2015

Elishable of the Day: #SAYNO

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/14/americas/paraguay-girl-rape-pregnancy/index.html


*******WARNING THIS ARTICLE CONTAINS SEXUAL ASSAULT/ABUSE THAT COULD TRIGGER SURVIVORS******




Right now there is a little 10 year old girl who is 22 weeks pregnant with her stepfathers child. Not only is she pregnant but the government is refusing to abort the fetus. Paraguay will only abort a fetus if the mother is a health risk.  According to them, it would be a sin to abort the baby of a 10 year old girl because the girl isn't (right now) at risk, and can deliver the baby via C-section.  My question is when did a 10 year old become healthy enough to give birth at all, and why are you not considering her MENTAL health????


"According to UNICEF, in Paraguay, every day TWO girls from the ages of 10-14 give birth to a baby that is a result of sexual abuse and 680 minors from the age of 10-14 reported a pregnancy in 2014."  Now I'm too tired and too devastated at the moment to even research each country and each continents child hood birth rates but 2 little girls a day give birth in Paraguay?  WHAT?  That's insane, and it means that their government isn't taking care of what they need to in order to prevent this atrocious act from happening? 


This article is personal to me and I don't think they can fully comprehend the devastation rape alone can have on a undeveloped mind.  My story is incomparable to a little 10 year old being raped and forced to give birth, but it may give some insight on how a child's mind works.


I don't remember much before the age of four, I have fleeting memories some happy and  not so happy moments in my life.  I, however, remember my elementary school years with such clarity that even today almost 29-30 years later, I'm still haunted by what happened to my sister and I.


He would start by tickling us, lulling us into this sense of safety and belonging.  It's natural for a father figure to tickle his kids, right?  I never met my biological father so my stepfather was all I ever had.   He would tickle us when my mother felt the need to go out, which was every week.    I remember the first time that I REALIZED that something was wrong, but I had no idea what it was.  I felt him touching me when I was sitting in his lap and I got really scared.  I mean how does a child at 4 or 5 determine if this was normal?  I had no idea what to do, I just reacted because I felt like I was being bad.  It went on for a couple of years, I felt like I was bad and dirty and unwanted and I couldn't even comprehend why. I don't feel comfortable sharing in great detail everything that happened but I can say with complete honesty that no child is capable of being mentally well after sexual abuse of any kind.  How can they be? 


 I never was a little girl to him, I was a sexual object before I was even in school.  When puberty hit I couldn't wear certain clothes (button up shirts, shorts/skirts above the knees because they made me look slutty.  He went to such extremes to cover us up because he couldn't control HIMSELF.  He wanted us.  Always.  I lived my whole life scared of that look in his eyes.  He never physically raped me but he looked at me as if I was already his.  He made me feel dirty as a young woman, made me feel like I was trash because I had big boobs and a curvy body.  I hid myself from everyone.  I wore the biggest cloths I had so people wouldn't see me, because how could anyone love me, I was such a bad person because I let him do what he did to me......


This had a tremendous affect on me.   I hated myself.  I hated my body, and my heart.  I was so scared of people that I couldn't even talk to them until I was an adult   I suffered so much, mentally and I hated life so much  that I would put my stepfathers pistol in my mouth and try to pull the trigger.  When I failed to even do that because I was a coward, I ended up hating myself even more.

I overcame those things though, but it took years.  I had people use me, take advantage of me because all I ever wanted was to be loved and I never had anyone show me what that really meant. I didn't see myself as worthy of God, love, or myself.   Even to this day I get uncomfortable when people compliment me and I never once was raped like this 10 year old girl was.


 Fully developed women can barely comprehend WHY she was sexually abused, they struggle with overcoming one incident in their entire lives.  This girl lived with her stepfather, and I can bet that she started getting abused from a much younger age than 10.  Studies show that in abuse against minors the perpetrator very rarely goes straight to rape.  He would be cautious because he doesn't want to be caught.  He has to breed his victim into being a silent one.  He cant afford for her to talk.  So he belittles her and he starts small.  The stepfather would get more and more bold with every crime he committed to his victim and then when he felt that he cultivated the silent victim he would rape her. 


This child is a victim of long term sexual abuse and I cant comprehend how the government can determine that this child is capable and healthy enough to give birth?  She truly isn't and they are torturing her by forcing this pregnancy on her.  It is not right.  Paraguay needs to focus on making rape of minors more harsh since it is so prevalent in their country.  They also need to realize that health encompasses more than just physical wellbeing, 



#SAYNO







1 comment:

  1. Man ... the tone has changed a bit from #distractinglySexy. Lots of emotions in this post, none of which involve nose hair. Saddened by this Paraguay story and doubly so your own, triply so (is that a word?) at how many times I've heard similar stories from other women. I'm glad that you have come to terms with it and can speak about it ... and, God willing, we won't make the same mistakes with the next generation that the last made with us.

    ReplyDelete